Monday, November 26, 2012

Felt HP mobile

I had to add in the almost finished product of my felt mobile bc I'm so stinkin proud of it! When I finish it tomorrow, I will update with pics of the completed mobile.
I bought two embroidery hoops to hang them on and I'm going to wrap them in yellow and maroon yarn then hang these pieces with fishing wire (probably in a similar way as they are laying bc I like the owl in the middle bc it is the biggest). I'm so proud! I think they turned out way better than my inspiration pics above and that lady on etsy is selling her mobile for 55 bucks!

Steps on how to make this mobile (or really any felt mobile):

Materials:
Assorted felt (I bought the mega cheap sheets of it for like .35 or so)
Different color threads (I used embroidery thread so I could choose how thick the stitches were)
Sewing needles
Hot glue gun (optional depending on if you want to sew every little thing or quickly glue something on)
Something to stuff it with (I used cheap crafting polyfill)
Scissors
Pen/marker/something to trace out your patterns
Embroidery hoops (or other hoops)
Some kind of string or line to hang the hoop and attach the felt pieces to the hoop
Yarn or paint (also optional and depends on what look you want for the hoop. Embroidery hoops are usually unfinished wood, so I wanted mine to be wrapped in yarn to cover that up)

Steps:
Draw out the shape that you want to make on the felt
Cut out two identical pieces
Sew together leaving an opening (I like poking the needle through the bottom and wrapping the thread around the edges. I didn't make the stitches ultra neat bc I like the look of the messy little characters)
Stuff with polyfill
Sew hole

It was incredibly easy. You can sew on little designs or buttons or other pieces of felt before sewing the back and front pieces together and stuffing. Next, you can get an embroidery hoop and either paint it or wrap it in yarn (so it doesn't look like a plain old embroidery hoop any longer). You just hang the pieces with some string or fishing line and hang the whole thing over the crib!

Keith is on duty tomorrow so I might attempt the crib skirt after my appointment in the morning!

Finished product (I need Keith's help getting it a little straighter)


Another edit.. here's my photoshop (and free) version of a print I found on pinterest/etsy
I am hoping for a new printer for Christmas so I can print it and then frame it (it'll be 8x10). I want to make a few other prints made of HP quotes and possibly the "Jillian, Yer a wizard" quote by Hagrid. I really can't make up my mind bc I like so many of the quotes :P

2 comments:

  1. The owl is freakin awesome. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! You did a freaking awesome job - I wish I was that talented/patient! :D

    ReplyDelete