Wednesday, December 5, 2012

DIY: Tag blanket for baby

I am a super novice sewer. I have made a total of 3-4 things with my sewing machine, so this project is one that someone with just basic knowledge can do!

Supplies:
Scissors
Sewing Machine
Coordinating thread
16x16in patterned fabric (I used fleece because it's super soft) washed and dried
16x16in soft/fuzzy fabric washed and dried
16x16in warm and natural batting
Assorted ribbons
Pins
Optional - Rotary cutter and mat

Steps:
After washing, drying, and ironing the fabric (so it doesn't shrink and get distorted after you make it and wash it), cut 16x16 in pieces of each kind of fabric using scissors or your rotary cutter (much much faster)
Lay your patterned fabric right side up on your table
Pin the ribbons onto the edges (I randomly chose sizes and lengths) about an inch and a half up (so they aren't in the way when sewing)
(Some of the ribbons may be too thin to pin horizontally, so when sewing, just pull the pin and hold it down with your fingers until you've sewn over it)
Once you have all of your ribbons situated, place the fuzzy fabric face down on top of the fleece and then place the batting over that and pin all of the layers together
We're going to sew this sucker inside out so we don't have rough edges at the end
This is how it should look when you flip it over
Sew with a straight stitch all around the edges. I didn't leave a certain seam allowance or anything. I just tried to sew it evenly :P I also back-stitched over the ribbons. Those suckers aren't coming out since they were sewn over 3 times and then a fourth with the top stitch in the last step!
**Make sure you leave an un-sewn piece of the edge so we can flip everything right side out**
I stick my fingers in the hole (heh-heh!) and pull out the opposite corner when I'm flipping this right side out, but any way you do it works as long as it comes out
I chose to sew a zig zag stitch around the edge to seal them up (after pinning in your open edge)

That's all there is to it!


One for Jill and one for baby James!

4 comments:

  1. Jill and James are going to love these. Nice work again! What's your next project?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been crocheting and knitting, but I don't plan on making any DIY posts for them since they're just patterns. I might post a bunch of projects in one and link the YouTube videos or something. I'm really enjoying sewing so I'm gonna look into burp cloths and bibs next, but I haven't looked yet

    ReplyDelete
  3. SQUEEEEEE!!! I love you and James' blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so cute! Love the fabrics you chose!

    ReplyDelete