You know those cute letters people put over the crib or on a shelf of their LO's name?! Well, I'm gonna show you mine and how I did them with scrapbook paper (because there is no way in hell I can successfully paint designs on the letters and it turn out like someone other than a 5 year old did it).
Supplies:
Wooden letters (you can do a full name or just initials!)
Mod Podge -matte
Adhesive Spray (or glue.. but the spray is the easiest)
Spray paint (optional)
Sponge or paint brush to apply mod podge
Exacto knife or scissors (if you're using an exacto knife or some type of blade then you also need a cutting mat)
Scrapbook paper
Steps:
(Optional Step) I put the letters in a box because we don't have any newspaper and it's easier to move all of the letters around without getting paint everywhere.
I went outside to do the spray painting since it is better fume-wise. I did two coats and made sure I got the sides really good. The reason I chose to spray paint them, was because I wanted them to have yellow sides (we're only covering the front of the letters with the paper in this tutorial) instead of the unfinished wood sides.. I think the unfinished wood color would actually have looked better with the papers I chose.. but you live and you learn :P
I let the paint dry for about 30 minutes and did a second coat. After the second coat dried, I moved them to the table inside.
Next, you want to get out your knife and mat (or a pencil and scissors). Trace each letter on a different piece of scrapbook paper with the knife (or flip the paper upside down and put the letter upside down on top and trace with pencil. Then cut out the tracing)
After you have traced and cut out all of the paper letters, lay them on some newspaper or scrap paper (or back in the box). Spray a letter with the adhesive and gently place the corresponding paper on the front of the letter. I held it in place for about 20 seconds before putting it down so the letter didn't stick to the paper. Repeat for the remaining letters.
I let the letters sit for a while (and got some opinions on what to do with the dots from some trusted friends :P) and then sat down to add the mod podge to them. Lightly coat the front and sides of the letters with the sponge (or paint brush if that's what you chose). I pressed down lightly on any bubbles with the opposite end of the brush for a few seconds and that took care of any bubbles. I coated each letter and once I finished, the mod podge was dry on the first letters so I went back and did the second coat. It dries pretty quickly (I think the bottle says 10-15 minutes). I did two coats.
Don't worry that it doesn't go on clear.. I PROMISE it dries completely clear!
I made sure to keep moving the letters around while they were drying so they didn't stick to the paper
I LOVE the way they turned out! Excuse the bump :P I will have to come back and add the picture when we hang them on the wall.. in April :P


What a fabulous job! You are so crafty
ReplyDeleteYou are so awesome at crafts. I would f that up so bad. Also, I love the pic at the end because it's like Jill photo-bombed it.
ReplyDelete<3